Some individuals experience certain side effects after consuming pineapple. Some individuals believe that they have food allergy, but only a small percentage of adults actually have one. In most circumstances, sensitivity to food or intolerance can be mistaken as an actual allergy.
Even though most cases of food allergies involve milk, nuts, eggs, soy, shellfish and wheat, some individuals are actually allergic to fruits including pineapples.
Indications of an allergy to pineapple
If an individual develops an allergic reaction to pineapple, he/she might start to experience the symptoms right away or within 2 hours after ingestion. The usual symptoms include the following:
- Itchy skin
- Swollen face, tongue or other parts of the body
- Difficulty breathing
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Nasal congestion
If an individual is suspected to be allergic to pineapple, he/she must stop eating the fruit and set an appointment with a doctor so that testing can be performed. These include skin tests or blood tests to rule out or confirm an allergy.
Am I at risk for anaphylaxis?
There are instances in which the allergy can be severe that the individual goes into a state of anaphylactic shock. The indications of this potentially deadly condition include the following:
- Swollen throat, lips and tongue
- Rapid heart rate
- Difficulty breathing
- Bluish skin around the mouth and fingernails
- Loss of consciousness
If the individual has this type of reaction before, the doctor might prescribe the individual with an injectable epinephrine that must be on hand at all times and a shot should be administered at the initial sign of a reaction. This is considered as medical emergency that requires immediate medical care.
Can cross reactions occur?
Once the individual develops an allergy to pineapple, he/she might be allergic to other substances and fruits. In the same way, allergy related to fruits might indicate or lead to an allergic reaction.
Kiwis, mangoes, papaya, peaches, bananas and avocadoes might cross react to those who have pineapple allergy. Among those who have allergy to latex might trigger sensitivity to various fruits including pineapple.
What are the non-allergic reactions?
Even if the individual does not have an actual allergy to the fruit, consumption can lead to detrimental effects if the individual is sensitive to the fruit or eaten large amounts. If the individual drinks the juice of an unripe pineapple, it can cause him/her to vomit violently. For those who are highly sensitive, they might experience diarrhea, nausea or vomiting after eating large amounts of the fruit even it is already ripe.