An individual who is allergic to okra might develop symptoms after eating or via direct handling. Additionally, one might be highly sensitive to other related foods if allergic to the food.
Is it a food allergy?
Food allergies are brought about by the erratic response of the immune system. If highly sensitive to a certain food, the immune system starts to fight it off with antibodies and chemicals. The release of these chemicals initiates the allergy symptoms all over the body.
What are the signs?
The indications of okra allergy often arise after consumption. The signs of a food allergy generally include:
- Mouth tingling
- Nasal congestion
- Swollen lips, face, tongue and throat
In rare instances, anaphylaxis can arise which involves systemic inflammation that leads to the obstruction of the esophagus, trachea and eventually lead to shock.
Management of reactions to okra
The simplest way to manage an allergic reaction is to avoid consumption or directly handling. Individuals who are highly sensitive to okra might also be allergic to althea tea, cottonseed oil and meal as well as gumbo since these foods have similarities to okra.
In some instances, a mild allergy can be managed using antihistamines and other anti-allergy medications. A doctor must be consulted if an allergy is suspected to determine a suitable treatment plan.